Planning Center is a product company that is owned and founded by a developer. The Mobile Engineering Team is looking for a developer to join us in building powerful mobile applications that support churches in their day-to-day ministry work.
Reporting to the Engineering Manager of the Mobile Engineering Team, you will join the team in maintaining and expanding our flagship mobile products.
We’re a fully remote company that relies on tools such as GitHub, Slack, Notion, and Zoom. We value asynchronous work while also encouraging pairing to shape work and/or tackle the harder problems. We meet together in person about 4 times a year in our main offices in Carlsbad, CA to continue fostering better working relationships.
Pay & Benefits
Get Paid—We pay in the top 10% of the New York City Rates no matter where you live, contribute to 401k, match charity up to $2,000 a year, and have generous allowance for continued education. The annual salary range for this position is $138,000–$178,000.
Be Healthy—100% remote, co-working stipend, generous paid sick time and vacation time, $200 a month for physical fitness and mental health, 95% medical & 100% dental premium health coverage.
Get Out—Paid Fridays off in the summer, every other Friday off the rest of the year, a month long sabbatical every 5 years, one week off a year to serve with a non-profit, 2 weeks vacation a year increasing to 3 over time.
The long haul—We hope you stay at Planning Center for as long as you’re able. This makes our code, processes, and support focused on scalability, longevity, teamwork, and humility.
No Ego, Amigo—Planning Center is full of incredibly talented people who work hard and love what they do. But, more importantly, we love working as a team. We encourage pairing, team work, and a healthy PR culture. There’s no room for rockstars here.
The ideal candidate for our Mobile Engineering team has several years of experience with a deep understanding of React Native, Android development, and object-oriented programming. You’ll be taking on projects that touch our admin and congregant facing React Native and native applications. You’ll help our team ensure we build in a way that scales as our user features change and app installs grow.
About the work
We are heavily invested in React Native, Java, Kotlin, Objective-C, and Swift. We don’t have titles that erect boundaries between front-end development and back-end development, so there are plenty of opportunities to learn across the entire stack. You’ll encounter a fair mix of building new features from start to finish, refining existing features, improving performance, and ensuring the security of our customers’ data.
Some tasks you will work on:
- Translating a feature pitch into technical specifications
- Implementing those technical specifications as a series of small GitHub pull requests
- Pairing with designers and developer teammates
- Reviewing your teammates’ pull requests to increase the quality of what we build and learn from one another
- Preparing code for mobile builds and releases on the Apple App Store, Google Play, and the Amazon Appstore
- Iterating on the tools used for automated application build and release
- Helping research and guide the team in the strategic use of 3rd party libraries and tools across mobile products
- Staying on top of the constantly changing mobile features available and evaluating what upcoming features can be utilized help improve the user experience for our mobile applications
- Investigating customer reported bugs that have been triaged and researched by our amazing support team
- Diagnosing errors that come in through our error monitoring tools
- Improving performance guided by Firebase Crashlytics, Bugsnag, and native IDE performance monitoring tools
- Participating in book and code clubs to learn with/from other developers
- Must reside and be eligible to work in the United States
- Must be willing to travel four times each year to connect with the rest of the team (not during a pandemic)
The Hiring Process
During the hiring process you’ll have a chance to interact with several members of our team. We strongly encourage you to bring any questions you have to anybody you interact with. You’re interviewing us as much as we’re interviewing you.
The teammates you’ll encounter along the way:
- The engineering manager you’ll be reporting to
- One or more developers from the team you’ll be joining
- Developers from other teams within the company
- Members of our executive team
Applications will be accepted until the position is filled. We’ll respond to applications as they arrive, usually within a few days. Below is an outline of the steps in our hiring process.
- Step one: Initial phone call with the team’s product manager for you to get to know us
- Step two: An online coding assessment to get a rough understanding of your experience
- Step three: Team interview over Zoom with the team’s product manager and a few developers
- Step four: Technical interview over Zoom with a few developers
- Step five: Meeting with our executive team and offer extended
Apply with a resume and a cover letter. Your cover letter should speak directly to this position. We want to know what got you into software development, how your experience has set you up for success in this role, and why you want to join our team. If you’ve applied in the past, feel free to apply again.